Friday, August 26, 2011

Promise Yourself

     A very good friend of mine shared a quote with me and several other people, a long time ago. He printed a small copy for everyone, and it still hangs on my wall today. I just happened to glance over at it this evening, and I read through it again. I've been thinking a lot lately about how I could better myself, and I think the things mentioned in this quote may help! I think it's worth sharing, and hopefully someone else will find some motivation, comfort, or hope in it like I do!

Promise yourself...
To be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.
To talk health, happiness, and prosperity to every person you meet.
To make all your friends feel that there is something in them.
To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimisms come true.
To think only the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best.
To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.
To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature you meet a smile.
To give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others.
To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.
To think well of yourself and to proclaim this pact to the world, not in loud words but great deeds.
To live in faith that the whole world is on your side so long as you are true to the best that is in you.

-Christian D. Larson

     I went ahead and highlighted a few points that I think I'd like to focus on! Not to say that those are the only noteworthy things in this quote, as I think they ALL are! But it's always easier to focus on a few small things at a time, rather than too many at once. I think it's important to remember that we are all a work in progress, and always be! We are "under construction", always striving to better ourselves and our way of living. This is a good thing- so when you fear there are too many things to fix, remember it doesn't all happen at once! Even if you hit rock bottom a few times, its okay- "Ruin is the road to transformation". Just pick a few things every so often and work away!


No comments:

Post a Comment