Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Count Your Blessings!


     Exactly one year ago, I had one of the worst scares of my life! I was performing in "Tarzan" down in St. George, and was about 5 shows away from the end of my contract. There were lots of Really big sets in the show, and I was one of several who was responsible for pushing one of the biggest ones onstage at the top of the show. One night as we were pushing on our set piece, it got stuck! This thing was huge, and with all of us pushing at our assigned spots, it would not budge. So, I ran around to the back, thinking more force at that point would help it along. With the rest of the people re-situating a bit and pushing, we finally got it going. But it was going much faster (as we needed to make up for lost time). So, I ran as fast as I could to get back to my spot where I was also supposed to cranking a wheel while pushing. As I hopped over a big part of it, I realized I wasn't going quite fast enough to be clear of the piece, and it rammed into my with all it's force.

                               Those big tree units in the back, that's what ran over my foot!

     It definitely hurt! Just the biggest metal bar bashing into the back of my little foot, felt awful. BUT, the show must go on! So I continued to push till we were set, and realized the hit had taken the back of my shoe off. So I reached down to pull back up over my heel, when I reached into a gaping, warm, wet space.....not quite right! I didn't look at it, but I did look at my hand which came up bloody....also not quite right. So, I quickly made my way off stage and pulled up my pants to see what had happened. I was shocked at the sight of my foot!!! I didn't panic quite yet, called over our stage manager and just pointed at it. They carried me into the Green room. All I remember about that particular moment is one of our stage managers saying I wouldn't be going back on, and to get the swing ready. That made me nervous, I NEVER don't return to a show! I had lots of help getting out of my costume as quickly as possible, and into our company manager's car, who drove me to the ER.

     The whole way there, I was quite calm, and other from the throbbing from the blow, wasn't in a lot of pain. I just sat in the seat wiping off my monkey makeup (certainly didn't want to walk into the ER looking crazy!), and taking out pin curls, desperately trying to make myself feel normal and calm. We finally arrived, gave my info, sat for a few minutes that felt like a lifetime, and were shown to the back. The worst part of the ENTIRE night, was the Tetanus shot!! Not because it hurt, but because I have an almost debilitating fear of needles! After that, I was given a shot in the foot to numb it (which wasn't entirely necessary because I still couldn't feel anything). I finally got a good look at the gash all cleaned up....PHOTO OP!!! It was gnarly, I could actually see a bit of my Achilles tendon.

 
      Our company manager (Ryan Anderson), was the greatest person to have with me! As I realized I was going to need stitches, all I could think about was the dang needle!! Fortunately, there was no pain, just a really weird sensation of tugging on things that shouldn't be tugged on lol! When it was all stitched up and nicely wrapped. I thought I'd be good to go. And then he brought out the boot. And then he started talking about all things I shouldn't do for the next 6 WEEKS, and somewhere in there I heard the words "She's done".... Done?? With what?? THE SHOW!!!! I honestly was thinking I'd be up on the stage the next night with just a carefully wrapped foot, until I woke up from my daze and realized I had 11 stitches holding my foot together, just millimeters away from Achilles. I was done.


     I wasn't going to be able to finish the shows with the cast that had become my family. I was going to miss my Lake Powell trip with my best friends, and a backpacking trip I was planning on going on with my brother just slipped away. Sounds overly dramatic, but dancing and outdoor rec is my entire life!! When this all came into my mind, only then did the tears come. We headed back to the theatre to get my car and things, and I thought it was time I called my mom. Then the tears really came as I talked with her and realized that our upcoming season of Odyssey was just a few weeks away. I was horrified I wouldn't be ready to go back in time.

                         since I didn't have to get ready for the show, this was the alternative!

     The next couple days were bitter sweet. It was such a blessing to watch the shows from the audience, and see what I had been a part of. As any performer would tell you, however, it was also heart wrenching to be watching from the stands, and not sharing the stage with those you love! I spent the upcoming month reading, watching movies, and reading.. not horrible, but not the way I was wanting to spend my last month of summer! When it was finally time to go the doctor and have my foot checked out, I received some less than encouraging news. I was given incorrect directions about how to care for my foot, which had left the seam of the cut still open! It hadn't healed over yet, and I was going to have to spend another 2 weeks in the boot with the stitches!! Not a happy camper! But, I did as I was told, since I wasn't about to take out my own stitches lol. This meant that I'd be getting the boot off just days before our first rehearsal for Odyssey's Thriller show. And at that time I was supposed to be STARTING physical therapy. Well, I refused to miss a single day of rehearsal, or to run the risk of not being able to participate in the season. So, I skipped the therapy, and jumped right into class! The first week was horrendous! My foot hurt worse then ever, and I was constantly afraid of ripping open the freshly healed scar! But, I made it! I was lucky enough to get full range of motion back in just a couple weeks (though my foot looked pretty horrible for a while there, especially in point shoes lol). It didn't prevent me from doing anything in the show, and it was the best season of Thriller I've ever experienced.

      I was told that the cut was a matter of just a couple millimeters away from SEVERING my Achilles tendon... how lucky and blessed I felt that it was not only intact, but that despite a over a month of not moving my foot, I was able to get right back into dancing with little repercussions. Dancing is something that feeds my soul and heart, along with outdoor recreation. It's truly a blessing that I can continue to do both the fullest extent. We go through a lot of hard experiences in life, and they can get us down and discourage so easily. But let's try our hardest to think of the many blessings in our lives. It can lift you back up just as quickly as were let down!

 









 HAPPY, LUCKY, BLESSED, GRATEFUL TO STILL BE DOING THE THINGS I LOVE!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment