Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Molly's Passion

     Aside from the outdoors, my next greatest passion is dancing! I got my start clogging....Yep, CLOGGING!!! I would post some pictures of the old days, but it's way to embarrassing! I clogged for several years, and thought there was nothing cooler. When I was 13, my mom took me a dance performance at Kingsbury Hall in Salt Lake City, "Thriller" by Odyssey Dance Theatre. I wasn't too enthusiastic about the situation because I knew it didn't have any clogging in it (I was pretty much obsessed). But she took me anyway. And by the end of the opening number, I knew that this was the exact company I wanted to dance for one day. So my mom enrolled me in dance classes at the studio closest to my house. I also did the dance company at my Junior High School, and spent my first 2 years of high school on the dance company as well.

     Then my senior year came, and it was the turning point of my dance career! I auditioned for Odyssey II, the training/scholarship company for Odyssey Dance Theatre, and was lucky enough to get accepted! For the last year of high school and my freshman year of college, I spent all day at school, and then all night dancing, and the late/early morning hours doing homework. There was time for nothing else! And then the glorious day came that I was accepted as an apprentice on the company, and I've danced with them for the last 4 years!

     It was quite literally a dream come true! I've never worked harder for anything in my life, and it was the biggest reward I could ever have received! I've made the BEST friends in the entire world, learned more than I ever knew was possible, been given the opportunity to travel the world, and perform for thousands and thousands of people!

     Choosing a career of this nature definitely has it's ultimate highs and devastating lows, and I've often times wondered if its worth it. There is always that constant concern with the appearance of your body, as it is the  instrument you rely on. And then the aches and pains that come with dancing for 7 hours a day as hard as you possibly can. Of course you have those frustrating days when you can't seem to get anything right no matter how hard you try. And sometimes the most frustrating thing is being denied a part you've wanted so badly!! Of course with that, comes the determination it takes to get it the next time! But, beyond all of that, comes the glories and happiness that certainly out weighs the hard times! There is no better feeling than performing on the very stage with the very company that you dreamed of being on since you were 13 years old, that's for sure! You can't beat dancing for a sold out crowd, or even a smaller crowd who appreciates your work just as much! The opportunity to work with world renown choreographers and the challenge of mastering their style is priceless. And of course the elation of finally being promoted to a bigger and new part (especially one you've always wanted to do) is a feeling unmatched by much else.







   
     Dance has been such a huge part of my life, and from the bottom of my heart I thank everyone who helped me along the way, and still continues to support me! My parents for forking up the money to put me through classes when I was younger, and then who supported me for the short time I was able to do absolutely nothing but dance and schoolwork. My entire family for coming to almost every dance competition and concert through my younger years, and then continuing to come to every show I've ever been in throughout my professional career. To all my friends who constantly hear these phrases: "I can't, I have rehearsal" "I can't, I have a show" "I can't, I'll be out of town with the company"...and for still calling and inviting me to everything even when they know what they'll hear! To my ODT family, who has seen me at my best and my absolute worst, and for loving me through all of it! And, where would I be without my very first dance teacher and mentor, Amber Dalebout Telford!??! I firmly believe she is one of the people who instilled in me the work ethic I have. She always expected the best effort and accepted nothing less. She was there to correct me when I was dead wrong, to encourage me when I down, to cheer me on when I performed, and to help me achieve what I thought was impossible. I can't thank her enough for getting me started and keeping going!

4 comments:

  1. I love this Molly!! You are amazing! I will just have to live my dance dreams through you! Love you!
    Lynds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowzers Molly! I loved this reflective post on your life as a dancer. Way to go, is all I have to say. Way to go after something difficult and love it. Way to dare to try a dream. You're humility and thankfulness for everyone who has helped you along the way shows just how much you recognize that you can never do anything alone and therefore, you have not taken the credit all for yourself.... an admirable quality. You're truly an amazing person Molly! I'm glad I know you and glad that I have seen you perform at least one time now. I have always wanted to see Thriller. Maybe someday I'll get to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I got to dance with you for a bit. You truly are amazing, and it shows by all your accomplishments! Go get 'em Molly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you so much girl. I could not be more proud! You are and were the hardest working most dedicated dancer ever. My favorite thing is that you are still you 100%! You are such an awesome girl and an inspiration to so many :) miss you!

    ReplyDelete